Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Kimbar Writing Service

Taking the written word to new heights



view:  full / summary

From Economic Promise to Financial Ruin, The Story of Solyndra.

Posted on July 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM Comments comments (3741)


Over one thousand workers have been laid off as a California factory has been closed


While this scenario has sadly been repeated numerous times over the last several years, the failure of this particular company is especially interesting because it was touted as an ideal example of the success of the Recovery Act.

President Obama visited Solyndra’s Fremont California factory in 2010 and told of how just the one year before, the ground was just an empty lot. The President explained how Solyndra had received a loan as part of the economic stimulus package.

Now the factory is closed. Jobs have been lost. Families have been hurt.

The Obama administration had arranged for Solyndra to receive $535 million dollars from the stimulus fund. The company’s loan application was given priority and did not have to undergo the scrutiny of other corporations seeking stimulus funds. Solyndra did not have to pass the standards established to protect taxpayers. Both Solyndra and the Obama administration had estimated four thousand jobs would be created by the government loan. Since receiving the funding, Solyndra had created 585 jobs.

Now the company has filed for bankruptcy and the workers are unemployed. Solyndra’s CEO Brian Harrison has stated raising capital in the current economic environment was not possible and the closing of the company was both unexpected and unfortunate.

Members of Congress and government “watchdog” groups have questioned the swiftness of Solyndra’s loan approval. The investigation continues and it has been reported Solyndra executives will plead the Fifth Amendment when they appear before members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The company’s headquarters has been raided by the FBI. Inspector generals from the Treasury and Energy Department and officials from the House Energy and Commerce Committee are investigating Solyndra.

Several questions arise out of this chain of events.

Why did the Obama administration work to have Solyndra’s application for stimulus funds approved without facing the same qualification standards as other companies? Could this rush to approve the funds have been influenced by the amount on donations made to the Democratic Party by the law firms representing Solyndra officials?

The law firms of Orrick, Harrington and Sutcliffe and Keker and Van Nest have a history of donating to Democratic campaigns. Since 1990, employees of Orrick, Harrington and Sutcliffe have donated over $1.3 million dollars to various political campaigns. More than 95 percent of those donations went to Democrats with $184,000.00 to Obama. Employees of Keker and Van Nest have given $527,301.00 in donations. Most of which had gone to Democrats. Over the past three elections cycles, employees of this firm have donated more than $315,000.00 to Democrat candidates including $64,900 directly to the campaign of Barack Obama.

Solyndra has paid a great amount of money to lobbyist to work on their behalf. In the past three years, Solyndra has paid 1.3 million dollars to lobbying companies that worked to influence government policy to benefit the company. The lobbyists worked to pass legislation such as the Renewable Energy Act of 2010, the Solar Manufacturing Jobs Creation Act and the Renewable Energy Incentive Act

Why had Solyndra CEO Brian Harrison reported to Washington lawmakers in June of this year that the company would double its revenue in 2011? He had stated they were selling over 10,000 solar panels each week. Upon learning of Harrison’s claim, Elliot Gansner, a solar product broker based in San Francisco, had reported Solyndra was just a niche product in the solar industry. He had difficulty imaging how Solyndra had generated such a high amount of sales.

While Harrison had touted the success of Solyndra in Washington, the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission showed net losses every year since the company’s inception in 2005. Records of the SEC also show Solyndra had applied for a second government loan of $469 million dollars.

Is the Solyndra case just an isolated incident of a company that was deemed worthy of a multi-million dollar loan at the taxpayer’s expense but failed due to economic conditions beyond their control or fiscal mismanagement? Or are there many other instances of funds from the economic stimulus act given to companies based on their political relationship and substantial donations to the Democratic Party? Has the Obama administration begun a practice of awarding government loans to companies based on their associations with major campaign donors and not their ability to repay the loans?

May the taxpayers learn the truth about the Solyndra case and receive full accountability about all loans awarded by the Economic Stimulus Act.



Posted on June 14, 2016 at 11:20 PM Comments comments (32322)

The Mustang: A Legend reaches 50.


The year was 1964, and the introduction of a small coupe took the automotive world by storm. The demand for this car was so great the manufacturer sold 417,000 units of this model in the first year. This vehicle served as the pace car for the 1964 Indianapolis 500 and appeared in the 1964 James Bond film, Gold finger.


The car was the Ford Mustang.

The Early Years

The 1964 Mustang was available with a hard top or convertible. A fastback design was added to the lineup. Buyers could select from an assortment of V6 or V8 engines to power their Mustang. 1974 saw significant changes to the lineup as the convertible was dropped from production and the fastback transformed into a hatchback. Ford called this new version of the pony car Mustang II. This was also the first year Ford did not offer a V8 engine in the lineup. The company reconsidered this decision and the V8 engine returned in 1975.

The Rise of Cobra

Ford wanted to build a car capable of racing the Chevrolet Corvette in 1965. They joined forces with Carroll Shelby and built the Shelby Mustang. The model was produced until 1970 and is considered an icon in muscle car history. Ford introduced the Cobra II in 1976 as a tribute to the Shelby Mustang.

15 Years Later

1979 saw another re-design of the Mustang. This model year was slightly larger than the Mustang II with a wheelbase and length 4 inches longer. The popular Mustang convertible returned to the lineup in 1983 and was available in GLX and GT trim. The convertible featured a power roof, a real glass rear window and roll-down windows in the rear seat. The revived convertible was a hit.

The Legend Continues

The 7th generation Mustang was introduced in 1994. There was the base Mustang with a 3.8L V6 and the GT with a 5.0L V8. The engines produced 145 horsepower and 215 horsepower respectively. Both models could be equipped with a 5 speed manual transmission or a 4 speed automatic. Four wheel disc brakes were standard and ABS was optional.

Horsepower was increased for the 1999 Mustangs with the V6 delivering 190 HP and V8 generating 260 HP. A redesigned Cobra was reintroduced in 1999 and was rated to generate 320 HP. However, many owners complained their Cobra actually produced less than 300 HP and Ford stopped production of this version of Cobra.


The 1968 film Bullitt featured a car chase involving a Mustang Bullitt driven by Steve McQueen. Ford commemorated this car by issuing a Bullitt edition Mustang GT on 2001. The limited edition was immensely popular and 5000 units were sold very quickly.

The 9th generation Mustang appeared in 2005 and features exterior and interior styling that are similar to early Mustangs of the 1960s. The V6 delivers 200 HP while the 4.6L V8 moves with 300 HP. The V8 has variable value timing and 3 valves per cylinder. Handling has been improved for the Mustang with new suspension system.

The Mustang was been on American roads for 50 years and is sure to continue as an icon of the automotive world.


Sample Press Release

Posted on June 13, 2016 at 9:15 PM Comments comments (28779)

Help is just around the corner.

This is what residents of Woodbury will be saying when MedExpress Urgent Care Center opens their first New Jersey location. The facility will be located at 875 Mantua Pike in the Southwood Shopping Center.

The community is invited to a pre-opening celebration on Tuesday, February 25, 2013. The event will 12 noon to 2:00 PM and will feature a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 1:00 PM. Visitors will be able to enjoy Hors D’oeuvres as they tour the facility and meet the staff

Med-Express of Woodbury may be reached by telephone at 856-384-5949. Please contact Daniel Mozer at [email protected] or 1-304-216-1682 for additional information.

Med-Express was established in 2001 and has their headquarters in Morgantown, West Virginia. The facilities are open 7 days each week for 12 hours each day. There are Med-Express locations in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Florida.



Posted on June 13, 2016 at 9:10 PM Comments comments (9402)


This is a tribute to a great dog.

Joey passed away on December 17, 2009. He was about 14 or 15 years old and died quietly in his home surrounded by those who loved him.

Joey arrived at Penny Angels in December 2002. He was diagnosed with heartworms and underwent treatment. By the spring of 2003, he was ready for adoption. And he was adopted, six times. Each time, Joey was returned to the rescue.


I adopted Joey in October 2004.

Joey had the classic Beagle appearance. He was a tri-color with the big ears and sad, brown eyes. His most distinctive characteristic was his bark. Joe’s bark had a honking type of sound and has been described as a sea lion, people talking and a dying animal.

Joey was a retired hunting dog and enjoyed tracking his entire life. His hunting ability caused the police to come to one foster home. One of the rescue’s long-time volunteers offered to foster Joey for a week. They took him home on Saturday. On Sunday, Joey somehow got loose and chased ducks onto a nearby frozen pond. The family panicked because they thought he would fall through the ice. The police were called and Joe was saved. He was back at rescue later that day.

One day at the rescue, Joan returned home to find her refrigerator open and several beagles having a feast. She could not imagine how they the door open so she secretly observed them one day. She was surprised to see Joey wait until he thought she was gone. He used his front paws to dig at the door and opened the refrigerator. They had to lock it a long as Joey lived there.

One day, I have taken Joey to Pet Smart for a visit and was walking him outside him.

on the side of the building. Being a retired hunting dog, he found a trail and began barking. Joan and Ken were in front of the store when two women walking passed stopped when they heard Joe barking. They were stunned to hear such a noise

and when Joan said that was a Beagle, they had to see for themselves. They were amazed when they saw the honking was coming from Joey.

Joey would never walk around anything. He would walk over whatever may have been in his way. One day my Dad was installing a new kitchen faucet at my house. He was lying on his back under the sink when Joe decided he wanted to see what was in the cabinet. He walked over my Dad and thought nothing of it.

I had borrowed a friend’s car that had heated leather seats. I had to pick Kim up from field hockey practice so I decided to take Joey for a ride. I did not notice Joey had stepped in mud as he was walking to the car.


I placed him on the front seat and turned the heat on. Joe enjoyed the warm ride. The next day, I realized Joe left a muddy footprint on the seat. I tried to remove the mud but it is still there to this day.

In February 2006, Kim and I took Joey to the Cumberland County shelter to get his rabies shot. Joe was well behaved in the car and peed a few times outside of the building. When we got to the main entrance Joe decided to have a BM just outside the door. I thought Joe was just being Joe and everything else would be fine.


I was wrong.

We entered the building and told them why we were there. Joe was fine until he saw cats in that large two-level crate they have in the lobby. He started honking and tried to run to the crate. The sound echoed off the walls. I was holding his leash and it looked like he was on a treadmill. The technician came out and stopped when she saw Joey.

“Is he vicious?’ she asked with a surprised look on her face. I assured her he was fine and just wanted to get to the cats.


She took him to the exam room for the vaccination and he was still barking. We paid the bill and he was still barking. Joe did to stop barking until we were half way home.

The staff later told Joan they could not get Joe out of the clinic fast enough. He made such an impression they remembered him almost 4 years later when Joan and Ken told them of his death.

Joey was only with me for five years but he gave me a lifetime of love and great memories. I am sure there will be other Beagles in my life but there will never be another dog like Joey. He was my handsome Beagle Boy and I will love him forever.


Good-bye Joey. See you at the Rainbow Bridge.



Welcome to Kimbar Writing Service

Posted on June 13, 2016 at 8:50 PM Comments comments (20182)

Thank you for visiting the website of Kimbar Writing Service.   I will be updating this page with samples of my writing.  

I hope you will enjoy reading through the posts and will contact me for your next writing project.    

Once again,  thank you for visiting my website.

Kathy Kerr